4 Ways to Prepare for a Tornado
Tornadoes can happen unexpectedly, without warning. It’s one of the main reasons they are so feared. They have the power to destroy buildings, overturn cars, and cause debris to fly in the air.
But what is a tornado? A tornado is a vortex of violent wind that rotates, creating a funnel-shaped cloud beneath large storm systems. Tornadoes can happen virtually anywhere and at any time, bringing intense winds wherever they touch down. If you live in the Midwest or Southeast United States, you are, unfortunately, at a greater risk for tornadoes. However, there are ways that you can prepare:
- Know the Signs:
- Be aware of a rotating, funnel-shaped cloud
- Look for an approaching cloud of debris
- Listen for a loud roar, this will sound similar to a freight train
- Sign up for your local community warning system
- If your community has sirens, become familiar with that tone so you know when you need to take cover
- Pay attention to weather reports
- Meteorologists can predict when the perfect conditions for a tornado might occur
- Identify a place of shelter and create an emergency plan
All of these steps will be integral for keeping you as safe as possible during an impending tornado. It is important that you stay calm and help your family and pets to a tornado shelter. Some homes have built in shelters while others will have to travel to an approved shelter to seek safety. Remember, if you are expecting a tornado, follow your emergency plan to keep everyone safe!